DJ is Eugene’s favourite role, but not his main job. His style is a London mix of film soundtracks, funk and feel-good grooves, a playful, freewheeling collection of party tunes, that has led him to play at Ost Klub, Arena, Elektro Gönner, Alte Post, Donaukanal, Rathausplatz, Club U, lakeside in Aspern, Meidlingermarkt, Funkhaus, Anaconda, Urban Future afterparty in Messe, Hotels…-Kempinski, –magdas and –Ruby Marie, Vienna Design Week, Streetlife Festival on The Ring, Lusthaus, on the beach at Eisenbahnerbad, outside WU, on UK radio station LSR, plus so many house parties, weddings, pools, parks, gallery launches. Ideally open air. He has spun records alongside Kristian Davidek, John Megill, Jeschka Oszilat and other players on the Wiener scene.
So the message is, if you are organising an event or party, and want the music to be curated creatively, give Eugene a call, and he will deliver clever music to back up your concept.
Recent experiments have included:
– To make the After-show party at Urban Future conference into something special, Eugene asked delegates for a song about their home town. And once he played it, waiting 30 seconds before typing on a big screen the name of the city. Those present tried to guess the origins of the tunes they heard, before it was announced. It made the event more interactive and colourful, and allowed all present to actually represent their home city. The event included music from 35 different countries, and cities as diverse as Shanghai, Oslo, Bamako and Medellin.
– For a project called Music Safari, Eugene plays open air on some of the poorest squares in Vienna, using music of all the different ethnic communities who live nearby (instead of having one club for juju, another for Bosnian beats, and a third playing bossa nova). DJ Eugene (originally from London) takes locals on a dance adventure, playing records that reflect the various communities who live in an area. He entertains the neighbourhood with Turkish, Bosnian, Chechen, Roma, African, Bollywood and Austrian tunes. Everyone can ask for a special song they’d like to hear from ‘home’. It’s fun. Residents start to dance, and are surprised to hear ‘their’ music played by a Brit, and alongside many other styles of sound. It allows local children to lead the dancing, showing each other the right steps and moves. It helps validate their culture, and shows that those tunes don’t just belong at private house parties or weddings, but also on the streets of Vienna. Why not mix up the music of the different communities who live around Vienna
– For the Baustelle Fest at magdas Hotel (before the building had electricity), dj Eugene played music from all the countries whose residents had recently arrived in Vienna as refugees.
– At the Feature Night party series in Elektro Goenner, the boys from nameit positive media played songs and audio on a theme each month, from ecology to autumn, and 1970s films.
– With dj storytelling, Eugene takes the dancers and party people on a journey of discovery, mixing styles and ideas, keeping the music visible all night, sometimes eccentric and always full of Felliniesque drama.
– For the opening of a Forum on Vienna Public Space, Eugene plays only music from or about Vienna. The soundtrack to the city.
Trying something new every time – that’s why it’s called dj storytelling. So what is that? it’s a flexible concept which means the music is not in the background, but something people can talk about all night, including ideas and diversity, but always involving the crucial element: funky beats to jump around to. Cinematic colours and booty-shaking slammers. And to reflect more worldwide sounds, which keep people thinking and exploring and surprised.
For those sceptical of the political or transformative power of music and dancing, remember how clubs are one of the great levellers, where a wide mix of people come together to party. Disco music was a revolutionary force, providing a colourful new platform for gay people, black people and women to be centre-stage. Please read this article to learn more: hyperlink here to this!
Upcoming parties with Eugene:
Brunnenpassage (Yppenplatz) launch of #Kommraus Forum Öffentlicher Raum, 16 May, 9pm
Roland and Phillip’s wedding, NÖ, 15-16 June
Streetlife Fest, Babenbergerstr (1010), 14-15 Sept. All day block party.